At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That’s why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
The successful candidate will have a university degree (B.Sc. or M.Sc.) in Environmental Engineering or a closely related engineering field as well as more than 10 years of experience in emergency response, remedial investigation, environmental site assessments and environmental permitting. Preference will be given to those with familiarity with federal, provincial, and municipal environmental legislation and regulations. Experience in multiple jurisdictions for a variety of Freight Rail and Oil & Gas related projects would be an asset. The preferred candidate will be self-motivated and also possess the following attributes:
• Excellent writing and communication skills
• Strong conceptual, organizational, problem-solving, research and report writing skills
• Ability to work in a team environment
The successful candidate will work in a team environment with the Canadian Freight Rail, Oil & Gas and Environmental Sciences and Planning groups, and will be responsible for acting as a lead, Project Manager and/or technical advisor for environmental permitting, environmental site assessments, and sub-surface investigations for a variety of projects and with a wide range of clients. He/she will also be responsible for assisting in the development of emergency response and remediation capacity within HDR’s Freight Rail market sector.
In the role of Senior Environmental Engineer, we'll count on you to:
• Conduct, supervise or direct investigations, including environmental site assessments as well as evaluation and remedial design of contaminated sites
• Work with Project Managers and other technical team members in support of developing project deliverables, including writing or preparing technical reports, design drawings, technical specifications, engineering cost estimates and permit applications
• Work with agencies and clients on environmental permitting and/or remedial programs
• Prepare reports, including work plans and feasibility studies
• Serve as a consultant and supervisor on emergency response and remedial projects as needed
• Function as a Technical Specialist or Project Manager as needed
• Participate in marketing efforts for emergency response and remediation projects
• Supervise other staff (professionals and technicians) and sub-consultants in remediation activities as needed
• Perform other duties as needed
Candidates must be committed to quality and HDR values, and should be available for travel primarily to locations within Canada.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Environmental Engineering or closely related Engineering field
10+ years of experience in environmental site investigations, remedial investigations, design and implementation of remedial actions
Experience with Microsoft Office applications (including Access, Excel, Word)
Excellent communication skills are essential
Experience with soil and groundwater investigations and remedial technologies is preferred
Project Management experience is preferred
An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must.